SA 2015 Helmets will be phased in starting October 1, 2015.
Snell Foundation Finalizes SA2015 Standard
The Snell Memorial Foundation, Inc. has finalized its SA2015 Standard for Protective Headgear which applies to auto racing helmets. However, although there are several changes in test requirements and procedures from the current SA2010 Standard, Snell certified auto racing helmets are expected to stay very much the same as they are now.
- SA2015 helmets must be ready for the addition of frontal restraint tether hardware such as used in HANS® and other systems.
- SA2015 includes provisions for “Low Velocity” impact testing.
- SA2015 includes “Low Lateral” impacts in case of strikes against side window frames and similar structures.
The projected timeline for SA2015 is as follows:
- SA2015 Certification testing has already begun.
- SA2015 Certified helmets will not be available for sale until October 1, 2015, when the standard takes effect.\
Click here to shop now for SA 2015 Auto Racing Helmets!
Snell’s advice to Safety Inspectors and Racing Authorities is that they continue to accept helmets in good condition and certified either to the current or immediately previous Snell standard. At this time, SA2010 is the current Snell standard and SA2005 is the immediately previous.
Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years after the helmet is first worn. However, even by this conservative advice, many current SA2010 certified helmets still have years of service in them. Unless a helmet has been damaged, or has five or more years of use, or is no longer accepted by safety inspectors or track authorities, there may be no need to replace it.